Monday, February 06, 2006

Getting back into camping

Camping, hiking, and backpacking - these used to be some of my favorite things to do. That was before my two-year old, Kenny. Except for a few very short little hikes, it was all over.

I've really been itching to get out there again, though. To wake up outdoors, climb around in the mountains, identify wildflowers, see wildlife - just generally get away from the indoors environment that surrounds me 99% of the time.

There's some problems, though. Even before I had a two-year old, I never found camping very comfortable. I didn't like sleeping on hard ground, being cold, and especially having to set up a tent in the dark. The payoffs made it worthwhile, but it sometimes got a little uncomfortable.

So now I'm thinking - how to get out into the great outdoors again, go camping, without getting cold and wet and miserable? I love the idea of a little pop-up camper, something we could tow with my Toyota Highlander. There's lots of decisions to make (Is this even a good idea? Where would we store it? Should we just buy a big tent instead?). But I'm jazzed about the idea of getting into the wilderness again, and the Pacific Northwest has so much to offer in terms of natural environment. I also love the thought of being away from electricity and the internet.

The FleetwoodRV Elements trailer is looking good to me now: http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/

No comments: