Thursday, August 07, 2014

More adventures with my foldable kayak

Kelly, Jean's daughter, joined us for a lovely kayak trip off Des Moines Park. It was Kelly's first trip on the Orukayak (Jean and Kelly had set one up before at the same park, but it got so windy that they decided not to put it in the water), and it was my Orukayak's first launch into salt water.



The painful part of going kayaking is setting up my folding kayak. It's not as bad as the first time (it took me about 20 minutes now, the first time it took 90 minutes) but it's still a lot of work. I do try to remember that a regular kayak is a lot of work too - getting it out of the garage, onto the car, then off the car and into the water. It's frequently not even possible for one person to do alone. So, it's the best option for me now.

I just made this little device to make the process smoother. It's a checklist for building the kayak, so I don't always need the manual, and a little piece of dowel to help loosen the seam channels (these are frequently the hardest part to put together).



Jean and I also went for a kayak trip on Lake Union - the best part is seeing all those interesting houseboats!






No comments: