Saturday, February 13, 2016

I love cooking in the microwave!

In the past few years I've been gravitating much more to cooking in the microwave. There's many recipes that involve lots of stirring and monitoring when cooked on the stove top, that cook away happily in the microwave with no more than an occasional stir.

Microwave chocolate cornstarch pudding

Here's a few of my favorites :

Microwave Pudding: We used to make instant pudding but this is so much better. I started out making the stovetop version, but the microwave version is so much easier, and you don't have to stand there the whole time, stirring.

Microwave scrambled eggs: This is my latest greatest favorite microwave recipe. I had tried microwave scrambled eggs many times, but always in a cereal sized bowl, which is a big mistake. Now, after some research online, I make them in a mug. Two eggs, scrambled, with a crumbled slice of cheese, in a coffee mug. Maybe some ham bits as well. Cook for 30 seconds, stir and break up chunks, then another 30 second, stir, and perhaps another 10 seconds. Heavenly! Such an easy hearty meal.

Microwave Peanut Brittle: People absolutely LOVE this this peanut brittle. It looks long and involved, but doesn't really take that long. Here's my version.

Microwave Cornbread: Cornbread usually does taste better in the oven, because of the browning. But it only takes 5 minutes in the microwave! And I put it up on AllRecipes.com, as well, and got 81 reviews!

Microwave popcorn: No need for bagged popcorn, this container works great, and I've used it for years - Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper

Microwave cheese crisps: I absolutely love these! Many years ago I went to someone's house for dinner, and as an appetizer the hostess made cheese crisps, but on the stovetop. They were delicious, like slightly browned crispy cheese. Well, in the microwave, they turn out great, and are so easy! Parchment paper is the key.

Microwave potato chips: just slice them very thin (we use the mandolin), brush some oil on them, and cook in the microwave until crispy and brown.

Microwave mug cake: truly a great idea, this was the rage on the internet about 5 years ago. There's some wonderful and luscious chocolate mug cake recipes out there...if you ask me, though, the key is no egg, and a spoonful of peanut butter or nutella. This recipe is the one I started with.


No comments: