Monday, November 21, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

(potential spoilers ahead!)

We went to see the movie last night (I loved the earlier movies!), and I'll admit I was more than a little disappointed. I had almost finished rereading the book, specifically to prepare for the movie, but I may have well not have bothered. They condensed the book so much, and skipped so much, that it really doesn't have much of the flavor of the book.

I'm not saying that I have any ideas on how the director should have done the movie differently. It was a very long book, and in making a movie out of it, I guess lots has to be dropped. Including Luna, darn it - I really liked her! And Dumbledore - his character in the movie was so different from his character in the book. In the movie, after Harry's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire, Dumbledore pushes him against the wall. That was so unlike the Dumbledore of the book, who is gentle and wise.

No comments: