Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Making snacks less accessible

I love snacks as much as the next person. And by snacks, I don't mean an apple or carrot, I mean potato chips or popcorn.

Of course, for health reasons, I want to make sure I eat the less-than-nutritionally-optimal snacks only on occasion. So, I don't keep the actual snack on hand, so I could just open up the panty and start chowing. I keep the raw ingredients for snacks. For example:

1. Microwave potato chips - they're awesome, relatively quick to make, and not too unhealthy! And all you need is a potato, some oil, salt, and parchment paper. And a microwave, of course.

2. Popcorn. Need I say more?

3. I keep chocolate cake mix in my pantry - it takes me about 15 minutes to use it to bake some great chocolate chip cookies. I don't generally do this for myself, just for when there's kids coming over.

The theory is - make the healthy snacks easily accessible, and make the less healthy snacks just a bit harder to get to, but still doable.

No comments: