Friday, March 27, 2020

Coronavirus - March 27, 2020

Well, I'm a LOT more relaxed now about things than I was earlier. You might ask - why? Why would I be relaxed and not as stressed now, when the bad news is coming hot and heavy?

Because...previously, I was very much out of sync with how everyone else felt about the coronavirus. Nobody that I knew personally was worried. People on the coronavirus forums on Reddit were worried, but not people I knew in everyday life. When I woke up, every single morning, I had a stressful feeling in my stomach, that really bad times were coming.

But now? The whole world is freaking out. It's catching up to where I was, 6 weeks ago. So I'm not as worried.

I did some work for the company that I'm consulting at right now. There was a big push to make there systems scale up 10x because there was supposed to be a surge of usage. So, I was stressing about how to do that. But it turns out that's not a requirement, currently, so I'm off it. I really wish I had gotten more integrated into their team before everything switched to online work. Right now I'm not very integrated, and I don't find out about things. Which really means that I can't be very effective there, to he honest. Their database is ... well, when a system is created and evolves over the years and nobody really puts their foot down about decent database design, or really knows much about it, it can get pretty bad. Like, REALLY bad. So any kind of improvement is going to be really challenging. So much duplicate code. We'll see how it goes.

I'm hoping to get lots of projects done. Like this diary, organizing in the garage,

Here's one project - making nettle soup. Our family went for a hike around the Lewis Creek area (interestingly, some trails are only visible on OpenStreetMap, not Google maps, so they're far less used). I noticed there were lots of young nettle plants, so I went back the next day and picked some, and made nettle soup from it. Here's the bag of nettles, and the finished soup.









No comments: