Monday, April 13, 2020

Coronavirus - April 13, 2020

Yesterday when we were biking, it was pretty chilly when we first set off. My hands were cold and uncomfortable, exposed to the wind. So, I made something that I've been wanting for a long time - ultralight wind mitts for biking. Which doesn't even appear to be something that's available, based on searching online. There are winter gloves for biking, but nothing like this - a very minimal, lightweight glove designed just to cut the wind.

This is the first iteration. I made a cardboard shape, put plastic (from shopping bags) around it, and ironed the edges until they melded. Then a cut a hole for my thumb. So, this is basically a plastic bag, shaped for my hand. I was originally going to make it in a standard shape, with a space for my thumb, but that got a little complicated.

Will it work? Who knows? We went for a bike ride today, but it wasn't very cold, so I didn't use them. But I think I'll try another version, out of some very lightweight nylon fabric that I have. Not waterproof, but it feels quite windproof. And it's actually lighter than the plastic. I will sew the next version. 


Here's some pictures from the bike ride we took, on the east side of Lake Sammamish. Some very nice houses, some older ones that will probably be torn down shortly.


Love the balcony on the rooftop.

 A very skinny house. There were a lot of these - I guess the lots are very narrow, and they want to have a lot of windows looking out onto the lake




My cooking experiment today was flatbread - the basic, simple, unleavened bread that's been around for thousands of years. Tasted pretty good, but I don't know that I'll make it again.



Had a Zoom call with Andrew and Linda. Nice to see them again, but virtual visits are definitely second-best compared to actually seeing people! And tomorrow Jean and I are going to be doing a "virtual" kayak trip. She in her kayak, me in mine, different locations, but talking on the phone while doing it.

I was just thinking...doesn't this "flattening the curve" thing mean...the economy would need to be shut down, for months?



No comments: