Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A historic walk along Coal Creek


I've been interested in the old railroad track that delivered coal from the mines around Coal Creek to Lake Washington. I found some old maps online via the USGS historical map viewer (https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/), very low resolution, though.



We took a walk around this area, and I was able to see the old map, overlaid on the current map, on my phone as we walked. Very nice.

Now that I've been looking at these old maps, I was particularly interested in seeing all the coal mining relics along the trail. This is an old flume that delivered water to a power plant, that boiled it, with the coal from the site, to produce power that pulled the coal carts up from the mines.


Not quite sure what this was.







Here's a video of me doing some finger-picking (for the first time) on the ukulele.


Here's a few pictures from yesterday. We drove down to Gene Coulon park, the boat launch area. Eric and the kids went for a walk, and I took out my new Orukayak Inlet to do a little paddling. I made a few phone calls while I was paddling - my mom, via a Duo video call, was happy to get a live feed, including bald eagles. The orange thing on my paddle is the replacement drip guard I made out of a pool noodle.




The Boeing factory building. I assume it's pretty unoccupied now.


No comments: